Many of our neighbors in need may qualify for a tax refund. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a free, IRS-sponsored program to help low and middle income people have their federal and state personal income taxes prepared and filed electronically at no cost to the taxpayer. The program serves households and individuals with incomes up to $60,000 and runs year around. Volunteer tax preparers are trained and certified by the IRS and provided secure, confidential tax preparation at two sites in our area, Ashland and Superior. VITA ensures that taxpayers receive all the tax credits (Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit) to which they are entitled. To schedule an appointment, call your nearest office in Ashland at 715-292-6400 ext. 1 or in Superior at 715-392-5127.
Sites are opening January 23, 2023 in Ashland for pick up of folders. Superior will be opening on February 1, 2023 to begin processing your return. Please call your nearest office, Ashland at 715-292-6400 ext. 1 or Superior at 715-392-5127.
Taxes We Do Not Prepare
Our program is staffed by IRS certified volunteer tax preparers. There are some types of taxes that we are not certified to complete. If you know your return will include any of the following, the VITA program will unfortunately not be able to help.
- Rental Income
- Farm Income
- Business expenses such as home office, equipment depreciation, inventory, or payroll (mileage, supplies, insurance, etc. are cover under the VITA program.)
- Business expenses in excess of $35,000 or that result in a loss (expenses exceed gross receipts)
- Cancellation of debt including bankruptcy, foreclosure, settle of credit card debit for less than the whole balance.
- Military income
Facilitated Self-Assistance or Do it Yourself from Home
- Prepare your own federal and state tax returns using our free online software in the comfort and safety of your own home.
- There are no income limitations and no fees.
- Interview based software helps you file an accurate return.
- Available in Spanish.
- File electronically and get your refund faster.
- You will have access to your tax return at anytime with your secure log- in.
- Requires basic computer skills and access to last year’s tax return.
- Volunteers will be available to answer basic tax law questions with-in the scope of the NWCSA-VITA program.
- Send an email to email@example.com to receive the free tax preparation software link and instructions.
- This program requires you to start your return on your phone. Once into the program, you can use your phone or computer to complete your return.
What to Bring to my In-Person Appointment
- Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security Cards or ITIN documentation for everyone on the return
- Birth dates for everyone on the return
- All W-@s, 1099s, and any other documentation of income (retirement, interest, dividends, etc.)
- All 1098 forms for educational expenses
- 1095A form if health insurance is purchased thru the Marketplace
- Child Care provider information: name, address, tax ID number, phone number, and amount paid broken down per child
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit
- Property Tax bill
- Benefit letter from Social Security if under the age of 62 and on disability with your disability start date listed
- Previous year’s tax return (not required but helpful)
To schedule an appointment or for more information call your nearest location in Ashland at 715-292-6400 ext. 1 or Superior at 715-392-5127